This, in my humble opinion, is the best pea and ham soup recipe ever. My husband doesn't usually like pea and ham soup but this one he does. I cook it in my slow cooker and over the day, as it is cooking, my house smells delicious. It has become a favourite in our home and maybe it will become a favourite in yours too.
Slow Cooked Pea and Ham Soup.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sticks celery, diced
300g sebago potatoes, peeled and diced
650g ham hock
1 cup green split peas, washed and rinsed
3 cups chicken stock
1 dried bay leaf
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
bread to serve
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, stirring for 3 mins or until softened.
2. Add garlic, celery and potatoes, cook stirring for 3 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. I don't add celery as my husband is not a fan. It still tastes yummy without it.
3. Add ham hock, peas, stock, bay leaf and 1 litre of cold water. Season with pepper.
4. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
5. Remove hock from the soup. Remove and discard bone (our dog loves when I cook this). Shad ham and return to soup. Cook on low for 1 hour or until ham and peas are tender. Serve with parsley and bread of your choice.
This recipe serves 4 so I usually double everything and we end up with leftovers.